The CT Campus Compact AmeriCorps VISTA Program places VISTA members on campus and community host sites in order to create, expand, or enhance projects that lift people out of poverty. Through their work, our VISTAs will develop sustainable connections and build the capacity of community and campus partners to address poverty-related community needs. Campus Compact member campuses or community-based organizations with a member campus partner may apply to host a CT Campus Compact VISTA.
Roles of VISTA members
An AmeriCorps VISTA member serves full-time (40 hours/week) for one year to develop or expand programs that fight poverty. VISTAs cannot provide direct service; instead they build the capacity of host sites and partners to better serve low-income people and address poverty-related needs.
CT Campus Compact VISTAs build a campus/community partnership by taking on different capacity-building activities such as: recruiting or training volunteers, writing grants and soliciting donations, creating publicity and outreach materials, conducting needs assessments and asset profiles, establishing sustainable systems and structures. The specific activities of the VISTA depend on the project goals.
Questions to consider
If you are thinking about hosting a VISTA member on your campus, consider the questions below:
- What is the poverty-related condition in the community that needs to be changed or improved?
- What are the key factors or issues that contribute to these problems?
- Which community assets are currently being underutilized?
- What are the barriers to fully utilizing these community assets?
- What opportunities exist to address these contributing factors?
- What research or data source is available that provides evidence of this need?
2014-15 Host Site Application
If you intend to apply for an AmeriCorps VISTA member please send an email stating that intent to Katie Coutu before January 15.
Application are due February 15, 2014.
Please review all CTCC AmeriCorps VISTA Program forms before starting the Application.
- Host Site Application Resource Guide
- 2014 Host Site Application (RFP)
- CTCC AmeriCorps Program FAQs
- Snapshots from a similar Campus Compact program
- Worksheet – Developing Campus/Community Partnerships
- Partner Expectations
- Host Site Continuation Application (Due Feb. 1) – can be given to sites in the middle of a 2013-2014 VISTA Project. Inquiries should be sent to Katie Coutu.
Contact Katie Coutu with all VISTA inquiries, firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 254-4000, x 3404.