The CTCC VISTA program is designed to provide host institutions with a full-time VISTA member to develop and enhance community-campus partnerships addressing a poverty-related need in their local communities. The most recent value of volunteer time in Connecticut according to Independent Sector is $56,200 per year.
Roles of VISTA members
VISTA members work in a non-direct, capacity building situation. Their project roles often include:
- Cultivating partnerships with community-based organizations that address the needs of low-income individuals.
- Working with faculty and staff to create and coordinate service-learning courses.
- Planning and implementing campus service days.
- Conducting presentations and meetings with faculty, students, and community members to increase awareness of service-learning and community engagement.
- Recruiting, training, and placing student volunteers.
- Providing leadership development, training, support, and reflection activities for student volunteers.
- Building the capacity for campuses to create sustainable service programming and partnerships.
Questions to consider
If you are thinking about hosting a VISTA member on your campus, consider the questions below:
- What is the poverty-related condition in the community that needs to be changed or improved?
- What are the key factors or issues that contribute to these problems?
- Which community assets are currently being underutilized?
- What are the barriers to fully utilizing these community assets?
- What opportunities exist to address these contributing factors?
- What research or data source is available that provides evidence of this need?
2013-14 Host Site Application
If you intend to apply for an AmeriCorps VISTA member please send an email stating that intent to Katie Coutu before January 31.
Application are due February 22, 2013. Please review the Program Guideline document before starting the Application.
- Host Site Application Guidelines and Requirements
- Host Site Application – new projects
- Host Site Continuation Application (Due Feb. 15) – can be given to sites in the middle of a VISTA Project. Inquiries should be sent to Katie Coutu.
Contact Katie Coutu with all VISTA inquiries, email@example.com or (203) 254-4000, x 3404.