No date tonight? It’s OK… You can spend your time learning how to prepare for a Skype Interview!
Chances are at some point you will be interviewing by Skype. While you will still need to research and prepare for your interview doing all the things you need to do as if it were an in person interview there are other critical elements that can enhance your success. Here are some tips from College Bound Success Inc. to help you excel with this type of interview.
How do you prepare for
an online interview?
Did you know that, according to Forbes Magazine, more than 60% of companies are conducting job interviews online via Skype?
In today’s global workplace, the Skype interview is a fast, inexpensive, and convenient recruitment tool. Interviewing through Skype brings challenges and opportunities. With the right preparation, you can excel in your online interview and successfully land your next job!
Top 6 Tips to Ace Your
1. Dress for Success
- Treat it like an in-person interview – dress in business attire from head to toe.
2. Establish a Professional Environment
- Determine an appropriate interview space and arrange a quiet area to eliminate background noise.
- Ensure a neat work area and simple background. Suggestions:Keep your resume and other appropriate documents, including questions for the interviewer, close at hand.Solid or simple pattern colored wall
- Organized bookshelf or desk
- Avoid plain white background, windows, or a busy background that may distract the interviewer.
3. Check Your Equipment
- Ensure you are connected to high speed internet.
- Test your webcam and microphone to verify that you are seen and heard clearly.
- Confirm that your Skype username and status are appropriate and professional.
4. Control the Lighting
- Be seen at your best. Too much or too little light can make it difficult for the interviewer to see you clearly.
5. Ensure Professional Body Language
- Treat the online interview the same as you would in person. Maintain good eye contact by looking directly into the camera rather than at the interviewer’s or your own image.
- Be conscious of your body language and maintain good posture.
- Keep hand gestures to a minimal.
- Remember to smile!
6. Practice Makes Perfect
- Ask a friend or colleague to conduct a mock interview with you on Skype.
- Dress in your interview outfit and sit with good posture.
- Practice speaking audibly and clearly, and looking into the webcam.
- With a few practice sessions, you will be comfortable and prepared to ace your Skype interview!
If you ever need a place to conduct your Skype interview, you can do it at the Career Planning Center.
Associate Director, Career Planning Center