It’s finally here, Spring Break. You have been planning this with your roommates for months and you are all leaving early in the morning for Cabo San Lucas…WOO-WOO!!!! Party time!!!
Before your start going wild, remember a few critical things:
1. Make sure you have a handle on your privacy settings for both Facebook and Twitter. You might be on the beach but employers who wish they were might be creeping on your posts!
2. Avoid uploading pictures of you in a compromising situation. This includes you as a bystander. People make judgments based on photos whether they are accurate or not.
3. If all of your friends decide to get tattoos at 2:00 a.m. make sure you put it somewhere you can cover up in the workplace. The vacation is a week but the tattoo is pretty much forever.
4. If you are expecting a job offer any day now, remember, it might be your future employer calling when the phone rings. If you can’t be professional let it go to voicemail and return the call ASAP once you have “gathered your thoughts.”
If you are staying at home this Spring Break, there are some things you can do to be productive.
1. Update your resume
2. Call at least two people that could help you network and invite them to coffee. This is a perfect time to catch up and begin asking for advice on navigating the internship/job search.
3. Don’t have an interview suit? This is a perfect time to visit Marshall’s, TJ Maxx or a consignment shop and see what you can find. Did you know you can sometimes go to Goodwill and find suits with the tags still on?
4. Begin lists of organizations you would be interested in learning more about or working for within your preferred geographic area. Don’t know what is out there? Starting researching.
Finally, wherever you go and whatever you do, remember to be safe and come back to campus with lots of stories!
Director, Career Planning Center