Internship Profile: Marina Barbosa

Submitted by Web Communications on April 13, 2000

Upon ending my second summer internship with Deloitte, I received a full-time job offer. My start date is scheduled for fall of 2011!

Marina Barbosa

Program: Computer Engineering

Hometown: Bridgeport, Connecticut

Honors/Awards: Dean’s List 2007-2010, Gibran Patterson Spirit Award 2010, INROADS Spirit Award & High Honor Roll 2009 and 2010, The National Society of Collegiate Scholars

WHY International business?

Because of my internships and some of the courses that I took during my time at Fairfield University, I found that it was very important to have an International Business Degree. Globalization is changing the way companies do business. Now, more than ever, we should inform ourselves of the global world, as every business and individual is affected by global events. I believe that with a degree in International Business, I will set myself apart from my colleagues because I will have the tool for understanding the global environment and the way different countries do business. My goal is to eventually work in Brazil, and be able to use my International Business Degree to facilitate communication between the U.S. and Brazil.

why deloitte & touche?

I had 3 internship opportunities to choose from. During 2008, I interviewed for 3 of the Big Four accounting firms, and I received internship offers from all 3. It was a very difficult decision to make, but one of the reasons I chose Deloitte & Touche was the company’s culture. It is a great company to work for, and I based my decision on the people that I was able to interact with throughout all of the interviewing process. I also chose Deloitte because it was ranked No. 1 on Bloomberg BusinessWeek’s “Best Places to Intern,” and No. 1 “Best Place to Launch a Career.” Lastly, I chose Deloitte because of the numerous opportunities to work abroad. Upon ending my second summer internship with Deloitte, I received a full-time job offer. My start date is scheduled for fall of 2011!

learning experiences?

One of the primary skills I picked up during my internship is how to perform an audit. I also learned how to use the company’s accounting information system, AS/2, as a main tool to perform the audit work. With these skills I was able to get a better idea of what will be required of me as a business professional and as an auditor once I graduate Fairfield University. Moreover, I learned about the many career opportunities that I have at Deloitte, such as the international opportunities, as well as the possible career paths that I can take. This inspired me to work hard in order to be a successful professional at the company. I also learned what I need to do now in order to advance professionally. I was able to finish my internship with a clear career path, and with a 5-year plan in place.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/6s65rgg