Undergraduate Student Profile: Chandler Oliphant

Submitted by Web Communications on August 31, 2006

I’m going to Seville for a semester next year, and after graduation I’d like to put together a Fulbright combining my Spanish with peace and justice in Latin America.

Chandler Oliphant

Major: English

Minors: Spanish, Peace and Justice Studies

Hometown: Point Pleasant, NJ

Honors: Magis Scholarship

Advice She Took To Heart

When I visited Fairfield, the tour guide said to seek out one professor who you could relate to, who could really inspire you. In my freshman year, I happened to get into an Intro to Feminist Thought class with Dr. Jocelyn Boryczka. She was so fun and cool and inspiring. I called my father that night and told him I’d found my mentor!

What She Was Inspired To Do

We were talking about the peace sign one day, and I said something offhand like, “That would be an interesting theme for a fashion show.” And Dr. Boryczka said, “Yes, and you’re going to pull it together!” So I did – we called for everyone to donate items with peace symbols on them, and we did a fashion show highlighting the paradox of the sweatshop labor used to create a lot of fashion.

Learning To Lead

I came to Fairfield on a Magis scholarship, which emphasizes leadership. That’s a packed word. To me, it means setting a good example, motivating others to unearth their passions, and getting excited about your opportunities in life.

What’s In Her Future

I’m going to Seville for a semester next year, and after graduation I’d like to put together a Fulbright combining my Spanish with peace and justice in Latin America. Ultimately, who knows? I would love to teach, maybe become a professor, because I love being immersed in this environment.

Words Of Wisdom For Incoming Freshman

Make the most of every minute here – it all goes by so fast. So open your eyes and jump in!

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/cx5nyr4