Undergraduate Student Profile: Jared Mezzocchi

Submitted by Web Communications on September 5, 2006

The classes you take, the space you’re living in, the projects you’re working on, your personal life – it’s all related.

Jared Mezzocchi

Double Major: New Media/Film/TV/Radio, Theatre

Hometown: Hollis, NH

Honors: Phi Beta Kappa

Writer/Director: The One Stoplight in Hollis

why he came here

A university isn’t about numbers or statistics. It’s about finding a home. When I first visited Fairfield, I bumped into two professors, and they sat down and talked to me for an hour. I felt like I entered a family.

latest project

I’m writing and directing a multimedia production called The One Stoplight in Hollis. It involves film and theater and a very, very non-traditional character who’s God.

favorite activity

Directing. I was an actor in 12 or 13 plays at Fairfield before I started directing, but now I’m hooked. I love establishing an environment that lets everyone direct themselves. And I love the collaborative process.

How Collaborative The Collaborative Process Is

I’m working with actors from New York, professors from two different departments, students from different backgrounds. I’ll have a stage manager in theater talking to a production manager in film – and they’ll become best friends.

biggest surprise

The classes you take, the space you’re living in, the projects you’re working on, your personal life – it’s all related. When my dad passed away, I was living in the Ignatian Residential College, and I’d taken a philosophy class and two religion classes for the core. All those things helped me think about what had happened. The script for One Stoplight came out of that experience. I realized I’m part of something bigger.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/89xhz9j