Internship Profile: Dahiana Martinez

Submitted by Web Communications on September 7, 2006

I’m doing what I love: designing and creating programs and developing code in Java. I love putting my own creative ideas into action and expanding the knowledge I gained in college.

Dahiana Martinez ’06

Program: Computer Engineering

Internship: IT Associate, Pepsi

Hometown: Somers, NY

what she does

How she got the job

One of my Java teachers at Fairfield put me in touch with a former student of his who worked at Pepsi.

why experience counts

For my Senior Design Project at Fairfield I partnered with an electrical engineer to design and build a softball pitching machine. That’s how I learned the most important skills and practices you need as an engineer: how to execute a project from start to finish, and how to work in teams to solve a complex problem.

where it all started

Before I came to Fairfield, I had no experience in engineering, but lots of motivation to get into it. Math and science are my all-time favorite subjects. My father was an industrial engineer back in the Dominican Republic. And my dearest mentor in elementary school encouraged me. She said there were only a handful of women engineers around the world, and I could be a role model to other women.

why she didn’t have a favorite professor at fairfield

All of my professors were important to me. They each had knowledge to give me; they each supported me in different ways. Engineering is a demanding field. You need all the knowledge, all the support you can get.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7t9s5k6