Alumni Profile: Julia Cunico ’05

Submitted by Web Communications on September 13, 2006

At Fairfield my advisor encouraged me to look into the Asian Studies program – and the world opened up.

Julia Cunico ’05

Double Major: Politics, Asian Studies

Extracurricular: Model UN

Institutional Affiliation: Korea Economic Institute, Washington, DC

Title: Associate Director for Programs

What she does

I’m in charge of programming for a nonprofit educational organization that promotes economic dialogue and understanding between the United States and Korea.

What that really means

It means I’m teaching – I’m helping the public understand what’s happening in Korea, and I’m helping diplomats and scholars stay informed of the latest developments. I’m also learning what it means to be a manager and a leader.

how she got the job

I sent résumés to organizations in Washington and New York, looking for entry-level work. I started at Korea Economic Institute as an office assistant, but then I expanded the job to include serving as understudy for the position I have.

what’s next

Graduate school, and a career in academia. My professors really inspired me to give back to students – to give them the kind of guidance and support they gave me.

The Fairfield Experience

In high school I was interested in domestic politics. At Fairfield my advisor encouraged me to look into the Asian Studies program – and the world opened up. I joined Fairfield’s Model United Nations team and eventually became its president, an experience that took me to Europe twice and put my course work into practice. By the time I graduated, I’d taken two years of Mandarin Chinese and written an honors thesis on the impact of Agent Orange in modern Vietnam.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7fw7kal