Philosophy Professor Develops Online Course Management and Assessment System that is Going Commercial

Submitted by Nancy Habetz on November 10, 2009

“Over the years, Naser says, some of his colleagues “have wondered about me. Why am I doing database programming and building web systems?”

pr_eidosFairfield University has just signed a contract with Connecticut-based Axiom Education to market an online course management and assessment system created by Professor Curtis Naser of the Philosophy Department, who serves as the Facilitator for Academic Assessment. The online system will be marketed to colleges, grammar and secondary schools, and other outlets that might need the useful tools.

Professor Naser joined the Fairfield University faculty in 1995 as a medical ethicist. It’s not exactly the career path he anticipated, he admits, but with a nod to his philosophical roots, notes that “programming is all about inferential logic.” Over the years, Naser says, some of his colleagues “have wondered about me. Why am I doing database programming and building web systems?” Still, he says, “I have always felt that this work was just doing philosophy otherwise.”

He began dabbling in database to web programming in 1999, “initially building a little online quizzing system for my own classes.” Soon others on campus were seeking out his tech help and now, after a decade of development and testing on campus, Eidos, the course management and assessment system he created, is going commercial. He and the Rev. Paul Fitzgerald, S.J., senior vice president of academic affairs, recently signed the contract, believed to be the first time there’s been a commercial partnership of this kind at the University, which will benefit financially from any sales of the product.

More >>

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/82nzsdc