R&J Project Distinguished Guest to Hold Exhibition of Paintings and Designs

Submitted by John Primavera on February 23, 2010

news_cas_sonya1Distinguished costume designer Sonya Berlovitz, who has worked on numerous productions for the Tony award winning Theatre de la Jeune Lune, among many others, is in residence at Fairfield as part of the R&J Project for the Spring 2010 semester. Ms. Berlovitz will design costumes for Theatre Fairfield’s April production of Romeo and Juliet, and Fairfield is proud to host an exhibition of some of her work from the last two decades. The exhibition, entitled “Sonya Berlovitz: Costume Design and Paintings: 1993-2010,” will be held in the Lukacs Gallery on the ground floor of Loyola Hall, and will display a collection of paintings, costume renderings, and actual costumes from various productions. About her work, the artist writes:

“I work in the theater because I consider myself primarily a collaborative artist. However, I have also spent considerable time exploring independent aspects of my work. Between 1987 and 1990 I studied painting, sculpture, news_cas_sony3textile design and fashion at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago where I received my BFA. I also studied haute couture for one year at La Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne in Paris, France, a school that specializes in the techniques of draping and design. Following my education I worked in Tokyo, Japan as a textile designer for Yohji Yamamoto, international fashion designer creating fabrics for his Paris/Tokyo runway collections.

My background in fashion and painting has contributed strongly to my process. I often draw on both contemporary fashion and historical references as inspirations. By using this eclectic approach I believe I can speak more directly to the audience by giving them news_cas_sonya2something with which to identify. Many of my costumes have been constructed from several fabrics of the same color pieced together. For me this represents a kind of painting with fabric. Seams are sometimes left on the outside with raw edges showing, sometimes cutting across a costume at an odd angle so as to make the inner workings of a design visible to the eye, as if turning the process to the outside.

I try to keep my designs fresh; unexpected; with details that sometimes surprise. I’d like the viewer to think of my costumes as a part of a theatre architecture that is revolving and evolving, never static.”

The exhibition will be on display from March 23 – March 30, with an opening reception on March 23 from 4:30 – 6 p.m., including a 5 p.m. artist’s talk. Gallery Hours are as follows: Mon 11-5:30, Tues-Wed 10-5:30, Thurs 1-4:30, Fri 11-5.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7wh6ugs