Student Profile: Marena Wisniewski ’12

Submitted by Web Communications on February 24, 2010

Not only did the Judaic Studies program prepare me for my internship, but it has also prepared me for life after Fairfield.

Marena Wisniewski ’12

Program: History, Judaic Studies

Hometown: Woodbridge, Conn.

Why Judaic Studies?

When I entered Fairfield as a freshman, I had no idea the University had a Judaic Studies program, but after taking courses like Modern Germany and Faith After the Holocaust, I knew this was where I wanted to be. As an inter-disciplinary program, Judaic Studies encompasses such diverse subjects as History, Religion, and Art, which really helped me in exploring my interests at Fairfield.

What Inspires You Outside the Classroom?

The Bennett Center sponsors multiple events each semester, both educational and entertaining, and range in subject from kosher food to the excavation of a Nazi death camp. Other events include the sponsoring of a University sukkah, a Passover seder, and a Shabbat service. All of these events add to the vitality of the program and helps to make it extremely worthwhile.

What’s Now, and What’s Next?

As a Lipper intern at the Museum of Jewish Heritage: A Living Memorial Holocaust, I am able to use what I have learned in the Judaic Studies Program to teach children about the Holocaust, both in the classroom and at the Museum. My courses at Fairfield fully prepared me for the internship – most of the required reading were texts I had already read in one of my Judaic Studies courses. Not only did the Judaic Studies program prepare me for my internship, but it has also prepared me for life after Fairfield.

Back to Judaic Studies

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/cfgy9e5