“Night at the Apollo” Celebrates Black History Month Through Song and Dance

Submitted by Laura McDermott '10 on March 5, 2010

Fairfield University students came together to celebrate black history month by singing and dancing to famous African-American pop songs in the Gonzaga Auditorium on Friday, February 26. With Spencer Thibodeau ’10 and Rosie Mathis ‘11 as hosts, the event was called, “Night at the Apollo” to evoke the cool suburban feel of New York City.

“I was here when they put this show on last year,” said Rory Bernier ’10. “I like how they celebrate black music, and the way they set things up makes me feel like I’m in New York instead of Fairfield.”

The show opened with the Black National Anthem, a religious soulful song describing the struggle for liberty and staying forever true to God and their native land. The song was sung as a duet by students Regina Walker ‘12 and Chamone Bordeaux ‘11, and the audience was asked to stand for an acapella rendition.

Along with the singing and dancing to songs by such legends as Tina Turner, Etta James, and Michael Jackson, there were some more introspective moments where student poetry was read, and Grant Miller read the infamous “I have a Dream Speech” by Martin Luther King Jr.

In all, “Night at the Apollo” was a fun and informative way of celebrating Black History month at Fairfield University.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/83rzl2y