Homecoming and Family Weekend

Submitted by JessicaW on November 26, 2010

View the Slideshows!

The weekend of October 23rd was Fairfield’s annual Homecoming and Family Weekend, when the student community invites their family and friends to come to campus for a Fairfield experience. Events included a “Taste of Fairfield,” musical performances, athletic events, and much more, including campus tours and a family mass. Among those who attended this special weekend were my parents who accompanied me to events over the two days and were “more than pleased” with the experience.

Early Saturday morning we made our way with other families to the Oak Room where President Jeffrey P. von Arx, S.J., welcomed all and described some of the upcoming events. Next we headed through the Barone Campus Center to the lawn outside Alumni Hall where the “Taste of Fairfield” vendors were setting up. Vendors came from the town of Fairfield, representing the variety of cuisine available for students to travel to or take out, including Coldstone Creamery, Flipside Burgers, and many more.

After we finished sampling food, my parents and I briefly attended the women’s volleyball game versus Iona before we headed to one of the offered info sessions, “So, You Think You Want To Be A Therapist?” This session was the most important event of the weekend for me personally because of my interest in attending medical school and becoming a psychiatrist. I learned much about the differences between graduate school and medical school, and the requirements for each, which was extremely helpful in the mind of an overwhelmed freshman.

Besides attending events all weekend, it was just great seeing my family again and being able to show them a little bit more about my new school. Knowing that they love Fairfield just as much as I do is more than comforting as I attempt to find myself and make my way through my time here.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7gvenmn