Move-In Day, Fall 2001

Submitted by Genevieve Bleidner '13 on September 13, 2011

Move-in day for college students, whether they are incoming freshmen just starting out or rising seniors ready to face their last year, is a day to catch up with old friends, make some new ones, and to adjust to the challenge of a new semester.

Move-In Day @ Fairfield

Picture 1 of 16

Erica Maher, Talor Maher '15, John Maher from Cheshire, CT

This year’s move-in weekend at Fairfield was slightly less hectic than years before, as students slowly trickled back onto campus after the hurricane that ripped through most of the northeast left the University with little choice but to push back the start of the school year.

“It actually upped the anticipation for me to have to wait an extra few days to come back,” says Bridgette Butterworth ’13. “Before I found out that school had been delayed, I was definitely starting to get a little homesick…but after those few days I was ready to get this semester started and see all my Fairfield friends again.

This is a common theme among students; the majority agree that they were anxious to get back to campus after the extended vacation.

“Oh, I was more than ready,” says Catherine Wolk ’14. “I was bored out of my mind having to wait out the storm. It’s a huge relief to finally be back on campus.”

Driving onto campus myself for the third time, I was greeted with smiling faces of students and parents moving back for another year at Fairfield. As usual, I unpacked my bags, but this time around I did so in a townhouse. Gone are the days of dorm living for this college student – which makes me happy as I’m under less restriction and have my own space, and sad because it means my days here at Fairfield University are all too soon coming to an end.

My friends feel the same. “I’m so excited for this year, but I’m also sad that this time has gone by so quickly. It’s only going to speed by faster now that we’re juniors,” says Kim Beatty ’13.

When asked what the first thing that I thought of once my boxes were empty, my friends tackled with hugs, and my books picked up on this move-in day?

“It sure is good to be back.”

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/6n26zoy