Study Abroad Profile: Tanya Rossicone

Submitted by Web Communications on October 12, 2011

Academics were quite different in Australia and being back at Fairfield has made me appreciative of the importance and value of academics. Now that I am a senior, I am pushing myself to do my best before I leave the academic atmosphere.

Tanya Rossicone ’12

Hometown: Braintree, MA

Program: Sociology & Anthropology

why australia?

I studied in Brisbane, Australia for 4 months. I had originally planned on studying in Florence, but once I began to research more about the programs Fairfield offered Australia seemed more appealing to me. My brother studied in Brisbane when he was an undergraduate and he absolutely loved his experience. And what I found to be the most appealing was that Australia is so far from the U.S., which many people find unappealing. My logic was that studying abroad in Australia would be the only opportunity for me to live in such a distant country and spend 4 months traveling about.

internship at Eidos

I was completely independent for 4 months, thousands of miles away from friends and family. I was familiar with nothing. This independence and freedom pushed me to explore and learn.

I interned at Eidos Institute, which is an Australian non-profit public policy think-tank. Eidos focuses on ideas and changes that effect and influence society. I interned with 3 other Fairfield students, and together we collaborated on an awareness event for college students. Together we researched a popular topic among Australian students to promote discussion and awareness.

Having an internship was a great chance to be a part of a professional atmosphere, something I had never been part of before. Being an intern and having the responsibility to represent an Australian company made me believe that I could possibly live and work in a different country outside of the U.S.

academic awakenings

My study abroad experience has shown me that the world has so much to offer and that there is more to life than just the U.S. I have traveled to many countries, but to actually live in and experience a different culture and interact with locals opened my eyes. I am now more curious and eager to learn about different cultures. Academics were quite different in Australia and being back at Fairfield has made me appreciative of the importance and value of academics. Now that I am a senior, I am pushing myself to do my best before I leave the academic atmosphere.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/87mwohq