3 Seniors Who Support Philanthropy at Fairfield

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on October 14, 2011

My favorite part of working as a student caller is speaking with alumni who love Fairfield just as much as I do. Nothing is more exciting than sharing my fond memories with someone who had similar amazing experiences.

Megan Protas ’12, Samantha Bacque ’12, Barbara Kaplan ’12

Hometowns: Upper Saddle River, N.J., Union Beach, N.J., Suffield, Conn.

Programs: Finance, Management, Marketing

University positions: Megan: Student Supervisor and Lead Caller, Phonathon; Samantha: President, Student Alumni Association; Barbara: Student Manager, Phonathon and Member of the Senior Giving Committee

taking advantage of opportunities

There are many opportunities on campus for students to learn how to lead others while helping the University achieve its goals of a vibrant campus community for today’s Fairfield students—and tomorrow’s. Megan Protus ’12, Samantha Bacque ’12, and Barbara Kaplan ’12 have all taken on roles to support the University’s Advancement Division.

Samantha is a work-study student in the Alumni Relations Office, and she is also the president of the Student Alumni Association, a role in which she leads a group of nearly 50 undergraduate student leaders to strengthen the bond between students and alumni.

Megan and Barbara have been student callers for the fall and spring Phonathons since they were sophomores. While their on-campus roles do earn them some extra spending money, all three students are committed to giving back to Fairfield, and to encouraging other supporters to do the same.

What’s your favorite part of your job?

Samantha: I like keeping in touch with alumni and hearing their stories about their times at Fairfield.

Barbara: I love knowing that as a student we are helping the University bring in a sufficient amount of funds for The Fairfield Fund. It is also so nice to be able to connect with many different alumni and hear about their experiences.

Megan: My favorite part of working as a student caller is speaking with alumni who love Fairfield just as much as I do. Nothing is more exciting than sharing my fond memories with someone who had similar amazing experiences.

Best experience with alumni:

Samantha: I love working Reunion Weekend each year and seeing classmates come back together… Watching them relive their time here at Fairfield is a lot of fun. It also makes you think about what it will be like when I’m back on campus for my own reunion.

Barbara:  Kimberly LoPiano ’04 is my boss at the Student Phonathon, but more importantly my mentor at Fairfield. She has shown me how meaningful her time at Fairfield was to her, and how important it is to give back to the University that has given her so many opportunities to grow and excel—as a student and as an alumna.

Megan: I had the chance to speak with a Fairfield grad and current board member who put my Fairfield experience into perspective. I will never get to replay my four years, but I will always love and remember the memories I made.

What do you think it will be like to be at the other end of the phone when you graduate?

Samantha: I will be able to relate to the caller because of my past involvement at Fairfield.

Barbara:  I will definitely be willing to hear their pitch about why I should support The Fairfield Fund—and maybe be a little “difficult”—before I definitely give a gift back to Fairfield!

Megan: I look forward to receiving my first “Will you donate?” call. I am so appreciative of all the kind and generous alumni who have taken the time to speak with me about The Fairfield Fund. I will definitely give the student callers the same respect in return.

Why is it important to give back to Fairfield?

Samantha: I’ve had a lot of great experiences throughout my four years at Fairfield. Volunteering or giving back could help current or future students have a great four years as well.

Barbara:  Giving back will help Fairfield remain a top university in the Northeast—or nation! Giving back to your alma mater shows how much Fairfield has done for you, and it is important to do so that current and future students are as lucky and fortunate as you were while attending Fairfield.

Megan: Fairfield has given me the best years of my life. Why wouldn’t I give back? Giving to Fairfield helps to enhance the living and learning community for all students. I want future students to have the same experiences I have had.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/6tfprax