Dr. John Araujo ’91

Submitted by Web Communications on November 14, 2011

Fairfield is going to change the world because of its innovative atmosphere, willingness to experiment, and vision for the student body. I want to be a part of that vision.

Dr. John Araujo ’91

Medical doctor, MD Anderson Cancer Center,
The University of Texas

Major: Biology

Lifelong Camaraderie

I loved life at Fairfield. It’s such a beautiful place. The camaraderie between students was remarkable. Whether I was studying at a late-night review session with friends or hanging out at the townhouses, all of my time at Fairfield attributed to my personal growth. I made lasting relationships while there as well. I still pick up the phone to call my old roommate. We lived together in the first floor of Gonzaga, which we then referred to as (affectionately, of course) “the pit.”

Largest Clinical Prostate Cancer Trial in the U.S.

Phyllis Braun, professor of biology, directed me to Georgetown for my Ph.D. She really prompted my interest in continuing my education. Professor Braun inspired me through several courses I took with her, in particular, molecular biology. She was really very informative and supportive of a larger vision for my life that I couldn’t really see at the time. I’m very grateful to her. After Georgetown, I did a residency as a clinical scientist at Dartmouth. Then, I went out to Loyola Chicago, which is where I learned cancer research techniques and engaged with the cancer field.

Currently, I am running the largest clinical prostate cancer trial in the country at MD Anderson in Texas.

A Vision for the Future

I’ve always wanted to give back because Fairfield is doing the right thing. The value system, morals, and Jesuit perspective ingrained in Fairfield’s curriculum are aspects of my education that I rely on each day as a medical professional. I love reading about the Nursing School. They are training people to help others. Fairfield is an institution that allows students to truly think, and inspires reflection and community contribution. Fairfield is going to change the world because of its innovative atmosphere, willingness to experiment, and vision for the student body. I want to be a part of that vision.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7assd2o