Devlin O’Shea ’06

Submitted by Web Communications on November 15, 2011

The Jesuit focus on justice and the development of leadership through education resonates most with me now. In the Marine Corps, we have our set of Core Values, and these values coincide nicely with those that were taught at Fairfield.

Devlin O’Shea ’06

Marine Corps Captain

Major: Politics

Undergraduate Experience

One of my favorite experiences was being a member of the men’s crew team. It was great to see the program evolve and experience continued success. I am particularly proud of the program transitioning from a club team to a varsity sport.

I also have to mention Doctor Mary Frances Malone. As a dean and academic vice president, she was instrumental in the successful completion of my undergraduate degree. She was vital in helping facilitate my leave of absence for the spring 2004 semester when I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves. She further aided me greatly upon my return, and was equally helpful when I took another leave of absence during the spring 2005 semester to deploy to Iraq.

I truly am grateful for everything the University has done for me. I look back at my time at Fairfield with fond memories and lasting friendships.

United States Marine Corps

I am a captain in the Marine Corps. Currently, I am a company commander at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C. This tour has been very rewarding, as I am fortunate enough to be in a position to lead drill instructors, as well as influence the transformation of civilians into Marines.

Core Values

I believe the Jesuit focus on justice and the development of leadership through education resonates most with me now. In the Marine Corps, we have our set of Core Values and these values coincide nicely with those that were taught at Fairfield. I have certainly seen the necessity for moral resolve and wherewithal in combat and non-combat situations.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7tvs65u