Dr. John Miecznikowski

Submitted by Web Communications on November 15, 2011

My happiest moments occur whenever students I teach or mentor do exceptionally well on a quiz or exam, prepare the desired compound in the lab, obtain publishable quality data in the lab, or get admitted into the graduate or professional school of their choice. I want to give back to Fairfield because I have had so many memorable and meaningful experiences here.

Dr. John Miecznikowski

Assistant Professor of Chemistry

What Sets Fairfield Apart

I wanted to teach and perform laboratory research at a school where I can work closely with the undergraduate students, and I like the smaller class sizes at Fairfield for that reason. I also value Roman Catholic traditions and I wanted to pursue a teaching and scholarly career at a Catholic university. I was thrilled when I was offered the job at Fairfield University, since out of all the positions I applied for when I was searching for an academic position, it was the job I wanted the most. I know that students who attend Fairfield receive a first-class education. With all students being required to complete a rigorous core curriculum, our graduates have a better sense of being and sense of purpose to society and fellow mankind.

Chemistry

I received my Ph.D. in inorganic chemistry. I am a synthetic chemist whose research focuses on making novel metal compounds that can be used to catalyze specific reactions. I did research in organometallic chemistry as a graduate student and in bio-inorganic chemistry as a post-doctoral faculty fellow. At Fairfield, I teach lecture and laboratory sections of General Chemistry (I and II), as well as Advanced Inorganic Chemistry. Together with Professor Amanda Harper-Leatherman, we have developed an integrated lecture and laboratory course on forensic science, which is aimed for non-science majors. This course has been offered since the spring 2009 term. In addition, I mentor and directly supervise undergraduate students who work with me in my research laboratory.

Supporting Fairfield

All of my experiences with my students in my classes, teaching laboratories, research laboratory, and with my small mentoring group in the Ignatian Residential College have been memorable. My happiest moments occur whenever students I teach or mentor do exceptionally well on a quiz or exam, prepare the desired compound in the lab, obtain publishable quality data in the lab, or get admitted into the graduate or professional school of their choice. I want to give back to Fairfield because I have had so many memorable and meaningful experiences here.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7rntmbp