Alumni Profile: Marc D’Angelillio

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on January 11, 2012

Fairfield allowed me to further develop the foundation that was set for me at an early age. The curriculum challenged me to think critically, not just absorb information in a textbook.

Marc D’Angelillio ’06

Hometown: Middletown, N.J.
Double-major: Marketing and Spanish; Minor in Latin America and Caribbean Studies
Current employment: Relationship Manager at Pershing LLC, an affiliate of the Bank of New York Mellon Corporation

WHAT DID YOU LEARN AT FAIRFIELD THAT YOU TAKE WITH YOU TODAY, BOTH PERSONALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY?

Fairfield allowed me to further develop the foundation that was set for me at an early age. The curriculum challenged me to think critically, not just absorb information in a textbook. I benefited greatly from a focus on presentation skills and public speaking in different settings. I continue to pursue opportunities to improve professionally through my relationships with other alumni and the strong network we have in my field of financial services.

At the end of the day, the relationships I built across Fairfield University became the discovery that I value the most.

two favorite memories

I really enjoyed the chance to work with my professors to craft two study-abroad experiences that shaped my perspective of Latin America. I studied Spanish in Costa Rica the summer before my junior year, and then spent my junior year living with a family and studying at La Católica de Valparaíso in Chile. I learned the culture, language, and history and still use much of what I gained from that experience in my life today.

Another favorite memory: I had just returned from the summer studying abroad in Costa Rica. A classmate called and asked if I would help her and FUSA host an event for the incoming freshman class. As it turns out, I got to interview Dennis Haskins, aka Mr. Belding from Saved by the Bell, a show I watched as a kid. It was a comical night, and I was appreciative of the opportunity to represent the upperclassmen in the welcoming of our newest members to Fairfield.

who was an important influence on you at fairfield?

Fr. Tom Regan encouraged me and a group of friends to join the Ignatian Residential College. As the College was only in its second year, we were hesitant but quickly signed on with cautious optimism. The relationships we fostered sophomore year stay with me today and account for some of our greatest memories. Although Tom Regan has since moved from Fairfield, he remains a mentor and friend today.

WHAT WERE YOU INVOLVED IN AT FAIRFIELD?

Involvement outside of the classroom really made my experience at Fairfield so much richer. Here are some of the things I did:

FUSA Class Council President (freshman year)
Ignatian Residential College
Student Alumni Association President
University Council member
Intramural basketball
Marketing Club
Freshman Year Experience mentor

why are you proud to be a fairfield alumnus?

Fairfield is fortunate to have a history of success for being such a young institution. To be a part of that is a blessing afforded to me by my parents, Joe and Donna, and fostered by the relationships I built with fellow alumni at various stages of their personal and professional careers. I am proud to be in their company and to show my appreciation for Fairfield.

tell us a bit about your role on the alumni association board of directors

I joined the Board upon my graduation and have since served on the Executive Committee in roles as vice president, chair of marketing and communications, and mostly recently as treasurer for this fiscal year. We are responsible for driving alumni engagement in the communities in which they live and work. I have taken a personal interest in getting to know alumni of all ages and fields of study because it gives me perspective in my role on the Board and I enjoy the camaraderie of Fairfield alums.

how would you suggest your friends/peers to get more connected with the university?

We need Fairfield alumni to step up and rise to the occasion of making Fairfield more relevant post-graduation. Join your Regional Chapter. We have them in 10 cities across the U.S., and they serve as a local way to be an engaged alumnus/a. For some, that means volunteer work; for others, it is more of a social or networking opportunity. Either way, the University offers many ways for you to get additional value from your Fairfield education.

Get involved. Make sure you’re part of the Online Community!

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7sg6suh