Undergraduate Profile: Rob Vogel ’13

Submitted by Deirdre Bennett, Assistant Director, Student Affairs Communications on February 14, 2012

The Fairfield community has provided me with the support, opportunities, and experiences to aid in the confidence of my own abilities.

Rob Vogel ’13

Hometown: Stratford, Conn.

Program: Finance and Marketing

Minor: Business Law, Regulation, and Ethics

I chose Fairfield because…

My experience during my overnight stay for the Magis Scholarship program during my senior year of high school. The welcoming environment fostered by the students and overall University community provided me with the foresight to see Fairfield as the right fit for me.

I chose my major because…

My passion for business and all of its elements. Finance and marketing are at the core of business and a robust understanding of each will serve me well in my future endeavors. With these majors I will be able to pursue my goals and make a positive impact on the world.

My favorite thing to do on campus is…

playing in intramurals. I have found the intramural sports program at Fairfield to be at the center of providing me and my friends with many good memories, not to mention a few championship t-shirts! Common ground is key for getting students to come together and the intramural sports program has served very well to enhance this Fairfield community through a shared interest in a wide range of sports.

What’s your most memorable academic experience?

I have enjoyed many different experiences that Fairfield has given me inside of the classroom, however my favorite came during my freshmen year. I took an interdisciplinary “cluster course” that consisted of a comp and prose literature course with a natural science. The English class had a focus on rhetoric in the sports world, specifically baseball. The entire class was also enrolled in the physics of sport course, so we would be able to study relevant subject matters that really shined through across different disciplines. We were able to form a much stronger bond than most classes due to our shared interest and outside-of-class experiences we had including trips to Citi Field and Cooperstown, NY to tour the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Outside of the classroom, my favorite thing at Fairfield
that really enhances my experience here is…

Serving in my role as FUSA Student Body President. It has been an honor to serve the students of Fairfield and I really enjoy talking with students; not just listening to complaints, but rather engaging in conversations to develop solutions and help promote positive sentiments as well. Getting to know members of the faculty and administration on a higher level has been an incredible positive for me. Being involved in Fairfield on the numerous levels that I am has given me the opportunity to make many connections and friendships throughout the community. These people make me very confident in the brightness of the University’s future.

When I have free time, I like to…

Give back. Serving as FUSA President has really helped to get me attuned to the needs and wants of students and I feel that I have been able to help work towards meeting these needs and wants on different levels. I founded and serve as President of BIGS, a club affiliated with Big Brothers Big Sisters that provides students the opportunity to mentor youth who are seeking guidance. I also serve as a facilitator for LEAD I, a class designed to educate and develop emerging leaders on campus. Through these and other involvements I have found that the most rewarding experiences are collaborative ones that consist of helping others in line with the Jesuit tradition.

One thing I wish I knew about actual college life before I got here is…

The variation from the time-constrained high school structure I was used to. It took some getting used to and I did not really like it at first, but I have found the college system to be very empowering. I have been able to take control of my time and value it by choosing the things I want to do with it. There are multiple things to be doing on campus at any time of day and I am very thankful to be at a place that provides so many options.

One positive thing I have learned about myself since
coming to Fairfield is…

I can do whatever I set my mind to. I know that sounds cliché, but the Fairfield community has provided me with the support, opportunities, and experiences to aid in the confidence of my own abilities.

After graduation, I plan to…

Attend law school to further my ability to help others and make a positive impact on the world.

The one Fairfield experience I will always remember will be…

My freshman year. I think I went through a huge transition during my freshman year, as most students do. I feel like the experience I had then will be very hard to match for the rest of my life. The personal development I experienced along with all of the new faces at the time that have since turned into those of close friends has really made me feel at home.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/7o4drhx