Undergraduate Student Profile: Miriam Sanchez

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on March 12, 2012

Both Fairfield and Boston College had everything I wanted. I chose Fairfield because of the financial support the University offered me. Every day I think of the great choice that I made.

Miriam Sanchez ’12

Program: Psychology

Activities: Executive Board of Fairfield’s Chapter of Psi Chi, the international honor society for psychology

Co-chair in 2012 Relay for Life fundraiser

Member, SALSA (Spanish and Latino Student Association)

Work-study student in the Fairfield University Office of Alumni Relations

Tell us about yourself

I was born in the Dominican Republic and moved to Lawrence, Mass., a small city north of Boston, at the age of 6. I have three older sisters. My parents live in the Dominican Republic, which means that I often go to visit them.

How did you find and choose Fairfield?

Both Fairfield and Boston College had everything I wanted. I chose Fairfield because of the financial support the University offered me.

Every day I think of the great choice I made.

How has Fairfield impacted your life?

I believe that Fairfield has given me not only intelligence—it has given me confidence and hope for a better future.

I am the first of my family to go to college so this hope for a better life is not only for me, but I am a beacon of light for most of my loved ones. I am better equipped to handle the world and all of the obstacles that might come my way. I met amazing people; I experienced new and exciting things, such as studying abroad, and I have become a part of a much larger network of people who have also been a part of Fairfield.

Influential experience at Fairfield

Spring semester of my junior year was spent in Barcelona, Spain, where I was not only exposed to an unforgettable city, but I also broadened by horizons which made me a better individual. While in Spain I also visited Rome, Paris, London, Seville, and Ibiza. All of these places hold a special place in my heart, and I cannot wait to go back there soon.

All of this was possible because of a special grant I received from Fairfield; it literally allowed my dream to become a reality. The four months I spent overseas further developed my survival skills, and after this I can honestly say that I can do anything I put my mind to.

what are your post-graduation plans and dreams?

After graduating from Fairfield University in May, I hope to pursue a master’s degree in speech pathology. I need quite a few prerequisites, so I will be fulfilling those requirements during the summer and fall of 2012. Come spring, I intend on becoming a matriculated student at MGH, a phenomenal institute in Boston for the health sciences.

While finishing my degree, I hope to become a school counselor at an inner-city school in the area. I currently hold an internship in a local high school where I am a mentor, which is something that I love and hope to be able to do while finishing school.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/8xr8e4l