Undergraduate Student Profile: Eric Lynch ’14

Submitted by Deirdre Bennett, Assistant Director, Student Affairs Communications on July 26, 2012

All of these experiences have allowed me to bond with an array of people from across the University community and learn more about life than I could have ever imagined.

Eric Lynch ’14

Hometown: Harrision, NY

Major: Politics with a minor in Peace & Justice Studies

I CHOSE FAIRFIELD BECAUSE…

Fairfield University offered the most welcoming community among my choices.

I CHOSE MY MAJOR BECAUSE…

I took an introductory class titled PO 11: Introduction to Political Theory. I learned about the different political systems that can be utilized to govern a state. It was the first time I had ever seriously considered something other than Democracy to be a legitimized type of governing and I really wanted to learn more.

MY FAVORITE THING TO DO ON CAMPUS IS

Attend the guest lecturers. My favorites this academic year were LZ Granderson (a sports writer and commentator for CNN and ESPN), Dan Savage (author, journalist, and newspaper editor), and Frank Warren (founder of PostSecret).

WHAT’S YOUR MOST MEMORABLE ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE?

Last year I took a special topics class titled FM 110: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity & the Movies. Before this class I never realized that the LGBTQ community had such a long-fought struggle to be depicted in the cinema. I was captivated by a list of completely unknown films the whole semester. It not only opened my eyes to a new genre of film, but a part of American history that I never knew existed. Due to this class, I now watch films in a whole new way.

OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM, MY FAVORITE THING AT FAIRFIELD THAT REALLY ENHANCES MY EXPERIENCE HERE IS…

My chance to help improve the Fairfield University community through numerous clubs and campus activities. In my two years at the University, I am very proud to have been a part of a Campus Ministry service trip to Houston, helped new students transition to the University as a First Year Mentor, co-founded the Proactive Investment Club, and was a member and leader of Man 2 Man, which is a flourishing living and learning community based in a first-year residence hall. All of these experiences have allowed me to bond with an array of people from across the University community and learn more about life than I could have ever imagined.

WHEN I HAVE FREE TIME I LIKE TO…

Get a group of my friends together and throw around a baseball or frisbee in the quad.

ONE THING I WISH I KNEW ABOUT ACTUAL COLLEGE LIFE BEFORE I GOT
HERE Was…

How short a day was. You would think that with two to three classes a day I would have so much time, but there is always something to do.

The one Fairfield experience I will always remember will be…

Hosting my brother during Siblings Weekend in 2011. There was an unexpected blackout, causing the weekend’s remaining events to be canceled. Most students crowded the lower level of the Barone Campus Center, but my friends and I trekked up to Bellarmine Lawn with our siblings and had a long game of Man-Hunt under the stars. It was kind of disappointing when the lights came back on.

One positive thing i have learned about myself since coming to
Fairfield is…

That I can give myself a break. The college experience should be focused on academics, but everyone needs to evade their responsibilities every once in a while and schedule some “me-time.”

after graduation, i plan to…

Join the Jesuit Volunteer Corps for a year of service and hopefully find myself working in Washington D.C. when it’s over.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/bpjjvow