Alumni Profile: Maureen (Errity) Bujno

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on September 10, 2012

I continue to draw on the values and qualities gained from my Fairfield Jesuit education: the importance of ethical behavior and leading by example, a thirst for continued professional development, and the ability to train and develop tomorrow’s leaders.

Maureen (Errity) Bujno ’90

New President of the Alumni Association

Hometown: New York, NY

Degree: Accounting – B.S.

about maureen’s career…

I’ve worked at Deloitte since I graduated from Fairfield in 1990. I actually began my career in the audit practice, where I earned my CPA. In 1997, I transferred to our Merger & Acquisitions group in New York. In 2004, I helped establish the Deloitte Center for Corporate Governance. Today, as a Director, I continue to lead many of the Center’s activities which include research and thought leadership, monthly webcasts, and events—all focused on board of director governance topics.

I really enjoy my work, and I frequently speak to boards and other audiences on audit committee leading practices, the latest corporate governance legislative developments and rule–makings, and the board’s role in risk oversight. I’ve been fortunate to work in these three specialized subject areas at Deloitte. It’s great working with a wide range of Deloitte professionals as well as having the opportunity to meet many of our clients in an advisory role.

Favorite memories of Fairfield

Most of my best memories center on time spent with close friends. We still laugh about our times together today when we reminisce. These great memories include: the feeling I had at the beginning of each semester, when everything felt new and exciting… the opportunity to play soccer at Fairfield—being part of a team, representing the University and meeting some wonderful friends… and all the big events—the dances, “400 nights,” “Clam Jam,” and Senior Week—to name a few.

Most of all, I loved the time I spent with the great friends I made at Fairfield—my freshman-year roommate, all my housemates, and so many others. Whether it was just hanging out with them in the dorm room, having a meal in the cafeteria just talking for hours, or catching up on the week on Saturday mornings at our beach house—the “Touch of Grey”— were the best of times.

important influences at Fairfield

There were many people who influenced me at Fairfield, but I am thankful for having been taught by Professor Susan Lyngass, accounting professor at Fairfield. I was fortunate to have Professor Lyngass for five semesters of various accounting classes. She motivated me to learn. She made a serious subject approachable and showed us all how to achieve life goals. She inspired us and taught us that through accounting we could work with interesting people creating business value.

What Maureen discovered at Fairfield that she takes with her today

I’ve been very fortunate to develop many lifelong friendships. We came to the University with different backgrounds and interests, but we shared the same core values that attracted us to Fairfield. Our bonds have continued to strengthen over the years and we continue to play important roles in each other’s lives. At my wedding earlier this year, it was incredible to be able to celebrate with all of my close Fairfield friends. We have so many great memories from our time at Fairfield and we continue to make new ones.

Professionally, I continue to draw on the values and qualities gained from my Fairfield Jesuit education: the importance of ethical behavior and leading by example, a thirst for continued professional development, and the ability to train and develop tomorrow’s leaders. Those values translate to my work ethic at Deloitte and in my communal activities, including non-profit board service and volunteering weekly at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

about her new role as President of the Alumni Association

I am very excited about my new role at Fairfield. As president of the Alumni Association Board of Directors, I intend to make use of my governance expertise to employ leading practices with our board.

We will continue to work side-by-side with the Alumni Relations Office in all alumni activities, focusing on developing a strategy that aligns with the University’s, engaging alumni, and promoting continued excellence in all areas.

We’ll also continue to promote involvement in our regional chapters, as well as other larger alumni events like Reunion Weekend, the New York St. Patrick’s Day parade, and others.

Speaking of which—please plan to come and join us on campus for Alumni Weekend on October 20-21! See all that is going on at Fairfield, and connect with new and old friends. It is sure to be a great time! 

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/95vaspd