Alumni Profile: Laura Galasso

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on November 2, 2012

Fairfield is such a huge part of where I am today. I had some treasured times at Fairfield and I want others to be able to have similar experiences.

Laura Galasso ’11

Double-Major: Management and Accounting

Occupation: Certified Public Accountant

Why Fairfield…

Of all the schools I applied to, Fairfield just seemed like the best fit for me. From the first time I set foot on Fairfield’s campus, I just knew I could see myself spending the next four years there. The campus itself stood out the most, including its prime location near Fairfield Beach. The academic and extracurricular possibilities were endless, and the Fairfield students I spoke to during my college search had nothing but amazing things to say about the school, its people, and their experiences there.

Dance Ensemble!

I have many fond memories of Fairfield, but taking part in the annual Dance Ensemble Performance at the Quick Center has to be my favorite. Dancing was something I had participated in my entire life, so to be able to share that passion for dance with new friends every year and show off our skills to the student body was awesome. The Dance Ensemble would practice every single week during the year for one show. Every girl I met was so dedicated to our shared love. It was a great experience and I made unbelievable friends that I will never forget.

Becoming a CPA

I just recently began my second year in the Transaction Advisory Services group at Ernst & Young in Times Square in New York City. I finished the CPA exam in January, and just received my license this past September. Public accounting can be pretty hectic, but I’m constantly learning new things and meeting fantastic and brilliant people. I get to travel a lot which is a really cool thing to do while I’m young!

Influential Faculty: Dr. Sharlene McEvoy

There were many faculty members who greatly influenced my decisions at Fairfield, but I have to say Dr. Sharlene McEvoy is my unsung Stag hero. I picked up a Business Law & Ethics minor just so I could be in her classes. She is without a doubt one of the funniest and most intelligent women I met during my time at Fairfield, and maybe even my whole life.

Life Lessons

The Jesuit value of cura personalis—care of the whole person—has really stayed with me since I graduated from Fairfield a year and a half ago. My work schedule can be very difficult and draining, but I try to be attentive to and take time to satisfy my mind, body, and spiritual needs.

Why I Give Back

Fairfield is such a huge part of where I am today. I had some treasured times at Fairfield and I want others to be able to have similar experiences—whether that’s pulling an all-nighter at the library, grabbing a beer and a chicken turnover at the Levee, or catching the Dance Ensemble performance at the Quick Center.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/amugzsh