Undergraduate Student Profile: Dan Bruno ’13

Submitted by on April 26, 2013

Two other aspects of this school that really impressed me are the Jesuit values and the liberal arts core education system.

Dan Bruno ’13

Hometown: Mattituck, NY

Program: Film & Television Double Major

I CHOSE FAIRFIELD BECAUSE…

The environment, the atmosphere, and the type of people that I’ve seen this University produce. Knowing about this school and knowing some of the alumni already, I was drawn to Fairfield (which is also just ferry ride away from my house on Long Island) because it was the type of university that I had always pictured myself being affiliated with and graduating from. As an avid film and television lover, I was also drawn in by its amazing Film/Television/Media program and the opportunities that awaited me in education, new technology, internships, and eventually in my career.

Two other aspects of this school really impressed me as well: the Jesuit values and the liberal arts core education system. Being at a religious institution not only makes me feel more at home, more safe and more secure, but it also pseudo-governs the way the students live their lives here, under values that I have grown up with, and the liberal arts core that is mandated here provides the student body with a very wide-ranging and comprehensive education that will find us much more well-rounded and ready for whatever the world throws at us when we sadly leave here four years later.

I CHOSE MY MAJOR BECAUSE…

I knew, since I was little that there was no other field that I would rather be in than the film and television industry, a medium of art that affects me and sparks my creativity in wanting to produce my own films and television shows that will then affect someone else. I have always been obsessed with film and TV, but not in a superficial way. I was interested in not only the complex stories and characters that are created, but also the production aspects of how they are created as well – prompting me to work on films and news shows throughout high school and then to begin searching for universities with media programs. Once I found Fairfield, I knew that its media program was the type of program I was looking for all along with its hands-on approach and interesting courses taught by profe

MY FAVORITE THING TO DO ON CAMPUS IS…

To attend the really interesting and fun events that this school puts on. Being an active member of the Fairfield University Student Association for a majority of my time here, I was informed about and able to help out on many events on campus, from speakers such as ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith and actors Julie Andrews and John Malkovich, to concerts such as Sean Kingston and Diplo (one of the top 10 DJ’s in the world). Being that this is a relatively small school, you know almost everyone at the events making it a very fun social scene as well.

WHAT IS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE?

Hands-down my semester studying abroad in Florence, Italy. It was the best time of my life – six months in the incredible Tuscan city really opened my eyes to the world around me, while also attending classes at the Fairfield school that is located in the heart of Florence. I was able to travel to countries such as England, France, Spain, Germany, the Czech Republic, and of course all over Italy for an education of the world outside of America. I took liberal arts courses ranging from Italian language courses, world ethics and art history (with works of art such as Michelangelo’s David only minutes away). It was an unbelievable semester that I even still can’t believe I had the opportunity to experience!

OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM, MY FAVORITE THING AT FAIRFIELD THAT REALLY ENHANCES MY EXPERIENCE HERE IS…

The internships that I’ve had. Since my focus is primarily in television, I was able to talk to two Fairfield media program alumni (who happen to now be intern coordinators) to get internships at NBC and Sesame Street. Real-world experience at these two giant companies has prepared me for my time after college. I did everything from food and coffee runs for celebrity guests to actually getting to edit three full episodes of Sesame Street by the end of the internship. It was a great learning experience, but they were even more beneficial through the professional contacts that I now have to talk to about full-time work once I graduate. I feel that Fairfield really pushes internships. Most of my friends have at least two under their belt by the time they graduate, which I can only imagine makes the transition from college to career that much smoother and better, and is one of the best advantages of going to Fairfield because of its close proximity to New York City and Stamford.

WHEN I HAVE FREE TIME, I LIKE TO…

Go into either New York City or Stamford with my friends and girlfriend to either go to a nice restaurant, club, or see a show. There are so many quality concerts around the Fairfield area also (smaller name bands that don’t cost too much but put on great shows) that we can all go out and have a great night for relatively cheap! When I have free time during the week my housemates and I like to relax, throw on a movie, or go grab dinner in town or at the local restaurant and bar on campus, The Levee.

One thing I wish I knew about actual college life before I got here iS…

That you really have to balance your time well. Time management is huge – classes and extracurricular activities take up most of the day, homework takes up most of the night, and you need to balance so you can have some time for yourself as well, which is sometimes hard to figure out. But, eventually you make it all work and at the end of the day it’s really all worth it.

One positive thing I have learned about myself since coming to Fairfield is…

That I think I am ready now to join the real work force. I am currently a senior with only a month of college ahead of me and after these past four years I now truly feel that I am prepared to leave college and start living on my own, which I absolutely did not feel when I first came to Fairfield as a freshman. Academically, socially, and work-wise I have learned that I have progressed throughout my time here and I feel confident and ready to join the “real world” – there are no guarantees of what will happen, but I feel Fairfield has prepared me the best that is possible – so now it’s up to me to use everything that I’ve learned.

AFTER GRADUATION, I PLAN TO…

Move straight to Brooklyn, NY. As a film and television major, New York City is the hub of the East Coast entertainment industry and Brooklyn (I hear) is the hub of twenty-somethings who are trying to break into that business! With the connections that I have at NBC and Sesame I am going to try to work again with them, but if not I will try to get a job doing anything in the industry, just to get my foot in the door! Gotta’ start somewhere!

The one Fairfield experience I will always remember will be…

The production of my senior capstone film. I rented a car and drove across the country for 16 days over Christmas break; New York to California through the southern route, filming a documentary on “The American Dream” and what people think of this idea in many different cities across the U.S. With help from other Fairfield film students and use of Fairfield film equipment, I was able to complete this dream of mine which I will truly never forget.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/c45xb4b