Undergraduate Student Profile: Sara Pollack

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on April 26, 2013

Very unique from other sports, equestrian is all about the balance and trust between rider and horse. We get the chance to work with these incredibly powerful, talented, and intelligent animals, and success in the sport relies completely on the relationship between the horse and me.

Sara Pollack ’13

Program: Double-major in English and Spanish

About Fairfield

I’m from Rockland County, New York, and I loved the Fairfield campus from the moment I set foot on it. I also have a close family friend at home who was encouraging me to attend Fairfield. I’ve been very happy with the choice.

About being on the Equestrian Team

I have had a love for horses and the sport of equestrian for as far back as I can remember. I began riding at the earliest age possible, which was five years old, and it’s been my passion ever since. Very unique from other sports, equestrian is all about the balance and trust between rider and horse. We get the chance to work with these incredibly powerful, talented, and intelligent animals, and success in the sport relies completely on the relationship between the horse and me.

The Equestrian Team at Fairfield has taken the concept to a whole new level, where we rely on ourselves and the horses, but also each other to succeed in competition. It’s a very cool team dynamic. Anyone from any level of riding experience can join the team, and it’s most rewarding when you see your teammates succeed at the horse shows.

About being President of the team

As Club President of the Equestrian Team, I’ve had a lot of responsibilities, but all of the hard work and time devoted becomes worth it when I compete each weekend with my team. As president, it’s been my job to be a role model for the rest of the team, which means always keeps a positive and committed attitude. I do anything from arranging entries for the horse shows, to organizing practice schedules, to making travel arrangements. I work alongside our excellent coach, Naomi Gauruder, to make sure everyone is getting the best out of their experience of being on the team.

This year has been one of the most successful we have seen in years. We finished the season with nine riders qualified for the regionals competition; we sent four on to the zones competition; and we finished third in the region out of 10 schools, missing reserve champion by two points. I was extremely proud of my team’s progress throughout the year, and the end result was fantastic. I myself qualified for regionals and zones and placed fourth in intermediate equitation over fences at zones.

Other interests and activities at Fairfield

I’ve been a Spanish tutor for underclassmen. I have also been working with Family Reentry, a non-profit organization based out of Norwalk, writing grants. The Equestrian Team is my biggest commitment on campus, and the experience is something that will always remain important to me after I graduate.

Favorite professors

I have loved all of my English professors in the College of Arts and Sciences, but I have found a more recent favorite in Michelle Farrell, a Spanish professor at Fairfield. She has challenged and encouraged me and has helped me to produce some of my best work at Fairfield for the modern languages capstone thesis.

Thoughts about graduating

Fairfield has given me the preparation I will need to enter into the “real world.” I have met so many people from many different backgrounds who have all taught me a little something different about people and life. Fairfield has taught me to work hard, maintain focus, and challenge myself and strive for new goals. It’s a good attitude to have right now as I’m approaching graduation and taking the next step in my life.

I will be attending NYU in the fall for a master’s in public relations. I can’t wait to dive into more school and this field of work in general.

Read more about Fairfield’s Equestrian Team!

Click here to see a video of Sara at the ANRC Intercollegiate Championships 2013, riding Kalypso.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/d9h6xoa