Accounting students gain professional experience

Submitted by Carolyn Arnold, Associate Director, Marketing & Communications on June 11, 2013

By Allison McCourt ’13

The Dolan School of Business provides students with the opportunity to gain professional experience while also receiving academic credit through its internship program. The program, offered to upperclassmen of high academic standing, also allows students to form relationships with potential future employers and business partners. Dolan_Business_Day_ 033 copy

“The internship program is very helpful and every business student should take advantage of it,” said accounting major Kyle Capaldo ’13. “I get a lot of experience at my internship that I wouldn’t get in a classroom, such as working with accounting software and dealing with real companies. In order to get a job, especially the one you actually want, you need experience. Recruiters are going to pick the people that have worked in areas related to their company.”

Capaldo graduated in May with a full semester’s experience interning at Robert A. Vance, CPA, LLC. This privately owned accounting firm, located in Fairfield, Conn., provides basic accounting services to companies and individuals mostly in the Fairfield County area.

“Accounting is making sure that all the numbers make sense and there is nothing out of the ordinary,” stated Capaldo. “Being able to look at real bank statements and a real business’ financials will provide me with a head start for when I secure a future job as an accountant. Mr. Vance is very knowledgeable and helps me look harder at information to understand what belongs and what doesn’t.”

As an intern, Capaldo is responsible for taking information from businesses’ bank statements and other financial documents and entering them into a database. The database is used to create income statements and balance sheets that will then be sent back to the client to see if their company is doing well or not. By using actual bank reconciliations, Capaldo is relied on to make sure bank statements match up with both income and expenses of outside businesses.

“This internship has already given me so much experience that I can use after graduation,” Capaldo said. “I have been working with accounting software that I’m sure many other accounting firms are using.”] to here.

Iryna Mohylnytska ‘13, a fellow accounting major, is also taking advantage of this enriching opportunity. Interning at an individual CPA firm in Westport, Conn., Mohylnytska has gained experience working with bookkeeping services, payroll taxes, individual returns, and internal management.

“In the classroom I learned the basics and a little bit of everything. This internship has given me the opportunity to develop my skills and bring together what I have learned with actual scenarios,” said Mohylnytska. “There are no longer hypothetical examples, but real people who I see come and thank us for the refund that we were able to get them.”

Not only are Capaldo and Mohylnytska gaining experience and practice completing tax returns and basic office tasks, but they are also receiving academic credit for their time interning. The internship program in DSB provides students with the opportunity to take what is learned in the classroom and actually apply it to the professional business world.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/lfyk8dz