Undergraduate Student Profile: Camille Rochet

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on June 20, 2013

Everything—an excellent Jesuit education, amazing friendships, a life-changing service trip to Ecuador, great professors and staff—has helped me grow significantly as an individual.

Camille Rochet ’13

Hometown: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Major: Sociology and Anthropology

Recipient of Minority Teacher Incentive Grant

About coming to Fairfield

I am from San Juan, Puerto Rico. I was born and raised there, and all of my family lives there. Coming to the continental United States for my college career was something I always wanted, and my parents fully supported. Although my home is a little far, I consider Fairfield my second home. When I arrived with my parents to visit the campus, we were overwhelmed by how beautiful it is.

When I was applying to different colleges around the states, I paid close attention to the size of the universities and the size of the student body. Fairfield is a cozy and comfortable setting where you can see familiar faces every day, yet still meet new and interesting people—even at the end of your senior year—and this was a great selling point for me. The Jesuit education was something that truly made a difference in my decision to go to Fairfield.

My Fairfield experience

As I often say, Fairfield has been my home away from home.

I’ve had great opportunities academically and in the outside community. I’ve made great friendships not only with students, but also faculty and staff members. The close-knit community on campus has had a tremendous positive effect on my experience here.

My professor and education advisor, Dr. Patricia Calderwood, was a great help with my education minor and with the process of applying to graduate school at Fairfield. She became the go-to person for me on campus whenever I had a problem, and she somehow found a way of solving it! She definitely made me feel more at home here, and always went the extra mile, especially by meeting with my parents when they came to visit. This was something my family and I really valued.

Being involved

From freshman to senior year, I had a work-study job. The past two years I worked in Campus Ministry and through that office had the chance to take a service trip to Quito, Ecuador, in the summer of 2012. I traveled with a group of ten other Fairfield students and two faculty/staff members. It was a life-changing experience for all of us. (See photo below.)

As part of one of my education courses, I worked in the MAACS mentoring program at two high schools in Bridgeport—an enriching experience for my future as an educator. Through another service learning opportunity I visited an elementary school in Bridgeport and tutored first graders on literacy. I was also a member of the French Club since freshman year, and held officer positions for three years.

Without financial assistance, I would not have been able to attend Fairfield. I’ve had great mentors and professors who have helped me throughout my journey here, letting me know of any available program or scholarship that I could apply to. I was lucky enough to receive the Minority Teacher Incentive Grant in my junior and senior years. These opportunities have definitely helped me appreciate my education and time at Fairfield University much more, and I am forever grateful.

Future plans

This fall I’ll continue at Fairfield in the graduate school for elementary education. I will be student teaching at Cesar Batalla School in Bridgeport, Conn. I could not be more thrilled to start my career as an educator there!

My time here at Fairfield has flown by, but I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. Everything—an excellent Jesuit education, amazing friendships, a life-changing service trip to Ecuador, great professors and staff—has helped me grow significantly as an individual. I feel I have been led into a great future for myself and for those I impact along the way, thanks to Fairfield University.

rochet_quito

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/knqy66e