Alumni Profile: Hugh Coyle III ’88, Jane Coyle Ballentine ’86, Jennifer Coyle, and Maryanne Coyle Andrews ’93

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on October 15, 2013

The school I fell in love with also captured my brother and one of my sisters with its commitment to the Jesuit education philosophy and ideals. …But beyond this, it’s the fact that our parents were determined to provide us with a college education and help launch us into the world with a quest for knowledge and a drive to succeed. We’d like to help others with that same dream.

(L-R): Maryanne Coyle Andrews ’93, Jane Coyle Ballentine ’86, Hugh Coyle, Jennifer Coyle, Anne Coyle, Hugh Coyle III ’88

The Anne K. and Hugh F. Coyle Scholarship

This year, Hugh Coyle III ’88 and his wife Jill Sutton-Coyle, along with his sisters—Jane Coyle Ballentine ’86, Jennifer Coyle, and Maryanne Coyle Andrews ’93—established The Anne K. and Hugh F. Coyle Scholarship in honor of their parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. The scholarships will benefit students with financial need from the greater Baltimore or Washington, D.C., areas.

Why Fairfield

Maryanne Coyle Andrews ’93
I was the last of the three Coyles to come to Fairfield. My siblings had everything to do with my desire to come to Fairfield! It was always so inviting when I visited, and who can pass up on beach living?

Jane (Coyle) Ballentine ’86
I really only looked at Jesuit institutions when seeking a college. My (all-girls) high school had partnered with Loyola High School and I was so taken with the Jesuit education tradition. These joint classes really had an effect on my perception of education that I scouted out all the Jesuit colleges from Georgetown in DC to Boston College.

When we arrived at Fairfield, the last college on our spring trip, the dogwoods were in full bloom. Students were playing Frisbee in the quad, and the whole campus was so green and lively. Even before our tour started, I knew that Fairfield was the college for me. It just felt right. After the tour and the interview, I was fully convinced, and just needed time to assure my parents it really was the college that was in my future.

Jennifer Coyle
I am the black sheep of the family and attended neighboring Holy Cross in Worcester! I often visited my brother and sisters at Fairfield and appreciated the wonderful location by the beach and the friendliness of their college friends. A number of my friends children are now attending or looking at Fairfield and it is a great complement to our Jesuit ties with Holy Cross.

Work and Family

Maryanne
I have worked in insurance for my entire career, and have been with AonHewitt for 16 years, working in Benefits Management. Initially, it was a start-up company called RewardsPlus and was acquired by Hewitt in 2008. Aon acquired Hewitt in 2010. I have been married to Hil Andrews (Roanoke College, 2000) and together we have two boys, Oliver (7) and Ben (5) and expecting another little one in January. We live in Towson, Md., and we are avid Orioles’ fans, love the NFL season, and play and see live music often.

Jane
After graduating from Fairfield, I worked at a small non-profit that supported the home building industry in Maryland, and met my husband there. I quit work to finish my masters in publications design and interned at Baltimore Magazine, where I worked on a story about what was then the Baltimore Zoo. That story helped me get the coveted PR job there that I had applied for three times previously! I have now worked in the zoo field for over 20 years, spending many years as the director of public affairs at the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). I have returned to the zoo of my early career and have been working for The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore for five and a half years as the director of public relations.

I married Tom Ballentine in May of 1992, and we have a 13-year-old son. Henry is in 8th grade at Loyola Blakefield, the same Jesuit school that my brother Skeets (Hugh) attended.

Jennifer
I graduated in 1989 and since then have worked for a number of international banks and finance institutions such as GE Capital (US, London), Royal Bank of Scotland, (London, US), Caterpillar Financial (US, Australia) and currently managing director of a division within the Australian investment bank, Macquarie, focused on the mining industry.

Favorite Fairfield Memories

Maryanne
Most of my favorite memories were of friends at the Overlook and the Jetty. The most memorable time at Fairfield was the nor’easter of December of 1992; it was the night before the GREs and we had to evacuate the beach house–it was freezing cold and we had to leave with water up to our thighs and get carried down the road in a front loader to safety. There were rumors that I got swept down a sewer drain. Luckily, we were all put up in the gym and everyone was safe. But there was quite a bit of destruction to the beach houses.

Jane
So many great memories, so I’ll pick a big one… I was a senior living at the beach the September that Hurricane Gloria struck. My housemates and I took a brief walk on the beach to see the Sound all churned up just before we were told to evacuate. Luckily we had friends who were in the Townhouses, so we all just moved up there for the hurricane party. It was a very surreal experience, especially when we all emerged from the houses as the eye passed us. I am fairly sure we sang the songs “Gloria” by Van Morrison and Lauria Branigan over and over again.

Influential Faculty

Maryanne
Fr. Harak was a brilliant religion professor; Dr. Gardner was a wonderful psychology professor and had a very “cool” way of leading class; Dr. Salafia was a confidant and guidance counselor in terms of progressing in the psych field.

Jane
Fr. O’Callaghan taught a course called the “History of the Parables.” (I think that was the official class name.) The course was fascinating, relating the parables to the historical time period which gave some real insight into how people of the time thought, what their social culture was like, and why the stories of the parable were so powerful at the time they were written. This was in the fall of 1984. I went to London for the spring semester in 1985, and Fr. O’Callaghan was on sabbatical there for six to nine months. We went to the theater and dinner once or twice a month. It was wonderful to have a friend and teacher to share the London theater scene with!

Why We Give

Maryanne
My family’s strong bonds to Fairfield keep me involved in giving. My brother in particular is very dedicated and involved in the alumni world (and is in the Fairfield University Athletic Hall of Fame—we’re very proud of him!) and has done a great job at keeping Fairfield in our lives.

Jane
Our family now has over 25 years of history with Fairfield and an even longer history of Catholic education. The school I fell in love with also captured my brother and one of my sisters with its commitment to the Jesuit education philosophy and ideals. Not to mention gorgeous campus, idyllic setting and like-minded classmates. And even though she didn’t go to Fairfield (sometimes there is such a thing as ‘too much family’) our other sister Jennifer did go to Holy Cross, forging her own path with a Jesuit education. But beyond this, it’s the fact that our parents were determined to provide us with a college education and help launch us into the world with a quest for knowledge and a drive to succeed. We’d like to help others with that same dream.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/mhxa9se