Alumni Profile: Kristen Edwards ’11

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on October 15, 2013

I give back to Fairfield as a way of paying it forward. I was afforded many opportunities in just four years and even in the time since graduating. I believe other alumni will also make donations after reflecting on their experiences that have prepared them for the path they now follow.

Kristen Edwards ’11

Why Fairfield

I sometimes feel as though I looked at every college in the Northeast while in high school, and many of the campuses blurred together— but Fairfield stood out from the rest. I chose Fairfield because of the community feeling that I felt from the moment I took my tour. Once I actually started, orientation leaders and other students excited me to get involved in many of the opportunities in front of me, including the Inter-Residential Housing Association (IRHA), theater, student activities, orientation, and the Cura Personalis Mentoring Program.

After Fairfield

While at Fairfield I was a communication major with minors in math and philosophy. After graduating in 2011, I went to Northeastern University to earn a masters in educational psychology, concentrating on college student development and counseling. However, I am now working at a small marketing firm as a corporate trainer in New Haven, Conn. The experiences I had as a communication major certainly prepared me for the role I have now, with all the presentations and account management I do on a daily basis.

Favorite Fairfield Memory

One memory that certainly stands out is my involvement with IRHA. I gained many leadership skills that I still use in my work today. I also met some of my closest friends and even roommates through the many meetings, programs, conferences, and social events we did together. My time in IRHA also opened the door to other opportunities like Orientation and Senior Week.

A big influence

From my first week at Fairfield, Meredith (Marquez) Tornabene was someone I admired from a distance. After becoming a mentor in the Cura Personalis Mentoring Program, we would talk about anything from academics to popular TV shows. She motivated me to be successful in my classes, as well as helping me with my career development. It made complete sense that after five years at Fairfield she moved over to the Career Development Office. I certainly appreciate all her support along with so many other staff members who had offices in the Barone Campus Center during my time at Fairfield.

As a young alumna, why do you give back to Fairfield?

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/q4fbhm5