Undergrad profile: Teresa Smith ’14

Submitted by Deirdre Bennett, Assistant Director, Student Affairs Communications on February 27, 2014

On my first visit I knew deep down that it was where I belonged…

Teresa Smith ’14

Hometown: Somers, New York

Major: Nursing

I chose Fairfield because…

The students I saw here were so friendly. My best advice going into college was to look at the student body and to see if I could belong in it. I took that to heart on my first visit and knew deep down that it was where I belonged. Fairfield is the perfect size and the perfect distance to town, with fantastic liberal arts and academic programs.

I chose my major because…

I have always wanted to help people, and preferably in a tangible way. I have always done well in science classes and I started to look at being in the medical field. Once I discovered the holistic care theories behind nursing, though, I knew I was set.

My favorite thing to do on campus is…

Either hanging out with my friends at The Levee, or sitting on the lawn in front of the library with a good book.

What’s your most memorable academic experience?

My most memorable academic experiences have been inside the nursing lab practicing administering injections to simulation people.

Outside of the classroom, my favorite thing at Fairfield that really enhances my experience here is…

I have become a stronger individual and leader through being a New Student Leader during orientation this year and being a Resident Assistant in a residence hall last year. These experiences will stay with me for the rest of my life as two amazing foundations of my leadership.

When I have free time, I like to…

I like to go into town and shop or bowl with my friends, or stay in and host a movie marathon and bake for them!

One thing I wish I knew about actual college life before I got here is…

… no one cares. But by this I mean, the students and peers don’t care about what others do, as long as they are confident about themselves. In college, I’ve found being different is celebrated and recognized.

One positive thing I have learned about myself since coming to Fairfield is…

that I can be a really outgoing and talkative introvert!

After graduation, I plan to…

work in Massachusetts General or a similarly challenging hospital as a nurse in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. I excel in challenging and encouraging learning environments, and since I have already been working in a post-PICU and post-NICU area, this would be the perfect and most natural next step for me.

The one Fairfield experience I will always remember will be…

the “Halfway-There Cruise” sophomore year. I was surrounded by all my close and closer friends from the different living and learning residential colleges and others in our class. We had mock-tails and hors d’oeuvres as we took too many pictures with the NYC skyline. It was freezing cold and we might have been blinded by the camera flashes, but it was an amazing time with our classmates and I am so lucky to have had the experience.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/m9du37o