Undergraduate Student Profile: Alex Cucchi ’15

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on April 2, 2014

I feel that the most important lesson I have learned while at Fairfield is Magis. Always strive for more. It is about going beyond the norm…  expanding the way you think, feel, and live among a group of people. By doing this you inspire others to do the same.

Alex Cucchi ’15, 2014-15 FUSA President

Hometown: Waltham, Mass.

Program: English / Economic Minor

Honors: Honors Program, Siobhan Leigh Kinlin Scholarship Recipient

Why Fairfield

Originally Fairfield was not my first choice, but I firmly believe I ended up here for a reason. When I toured here, I obviously loved the beautiful campus, we have a close location to New York City, and I was so similar to several of the students I was able to meet. When I reflect on it, I am so happy that I made the choice I did. I don’t know where I would be without the Fairfield community.

How did you come to be interested in your major/field of study?

I have always been a strong writer and enjoyed reading and writing as well. It is also a good major in preparation for law school, if that is what I end up pursuing. I also added an Economics minor to give me some business background if I decide to go that route with my career.

How has your Fairfield experience been?

Incredible. I have grown so much as an individual and had the opportunity to develop into the man that I plan to become. I have gained many skills, have been challenged academically, and made so many great friends that I know will be friends for the rest of my life. I am still struggling with the fact that I will be graduating next year and I will have to leave such an amazing place where I have so many memories.

Favorite Faculty

My favorite faculty member is definitely my advisor, Dr. Emily Orlando. She has been a vital part of me sticking with my English major, choosing my concentration, and being a resource for anything I have needed since my freshman year. I have also had the pleasure of taking two of her courses, which I have enjoyed as well. She pushes me to produce my best work and sees the potential I have to continue improving as I move closer to graduation.

What have you been involved in at Fairfield?

Academically I am a member of the Honors Program. In extracurricular activities I have been involved with FUSA since freshman year. I was freshman class president, a senator as a sophomore, vice president as a junior, and was recently elected president for next year.

In Campus Ministry I was a Eucharistic Minister my freshman and sophomore year and have led several retreats as well.

Finally, I have been involved with Rugby since freshman year. I have been president of the club the last two years. I was also fortunate enough to be the president during the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Rugby Club last fall—an incredible experience I will cherish long after I leave Fairfield.

What are your plans after graduation?

I am still very much up in the air about my future career. I do plan to apply to law school or apply to grad school to pursue a master’s degree in finance.

What are you learning at Fairfield that you think you’ll take with you after you graduate?

I have learned a great deal about time management, commitment to academic excellence, and the value of developing into a well-rounded person. I feel that my Jesuit education has inspired me to be myself and has also shown me what my strengths are and how I can use them to benefit myself and others.

I feel that the most important lesson I have learned while at Fairfield is Magis. Always strive for more. It is about going beyond the norm and pushing yourself to be your best. It is also about caring beyond what is expected and expanding the way you think, feel, and live among a group of people. By doing this you inspire others to do the same.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/mwx596z