Undergraduate Student Profile: Julia Aparicio ’16

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on April 2, 2014

I have taken many classes that have focused on the injustices in society…and I can no longer be ignorant to the disadvantages that others may face, and it has sparked a permanent call for social justice in my heart

Julia Aparicio ’16

Hometown: Taunton, Mass.

Program: English / Psychology

Why Fairfield

I was instantly drawn to the sense of community that I saw at Fairfield, especially that of Campus Ministry. In addition, Fairfield also supported me with a great financial aid package and scholarships. I honestly would not be here if it was not for the University’s financial support.

How did you come to be interested in your major/field of study?

I have wanted to be a teacher since I was playing “school” with my toys as a little girl. Education is my true passion, and I hope to one day be a driving force behind inspiring future generations to love learning as well. I think my majors will provide me with a great foundation to help understand how to cater to many different learning styles and backgrounds.

How has your Fairfield experience been?

I have loved my Fairfield experience so far! Though, I have to say that I am also very excited to be traveling abroad to London next semester. I have never gone abroad before, and I can’t wait to see what I will experience.

Favorite Faculty

That’s a very hard question. I love the faculty in the English Department, those I have worked with in the Psychology Department, Residence Life, the Diversity Office, Career Planning…I could go on and on!

What have you been involved in at Fairfield?

I have two jobs on campus, I work for the University Writing Center and I also work for the Student Phonathon. I have been a part of the Academic Immersion program and LEAD 101. In Campus Ministry, I serve as a lector and as a leader on the First-Year Escape retreat. I have also worked with first year students as a New Student Leader for the Class of 2017. Furthermore, I am currently a member of the Ignatian Residental College. I am also training to be an RA, and I am always looking for other ways to get involved as well.

What are your plans after graduation?

I am not positive yet, but I think I want to get my master’s in education and then work as a teacher. Maybe I will apply for Teach for America instead; I am not sure yet. I still have time to figure it out. All I know is that I will find new ways of committing myself to service after college.

What are you learning at Fairfield that you think you’ll take with you after you graduate?

I think that I have I will always carry the Jesuit values with me. The idea of striving for more, of caring for yourself in a wholesome way, of serving others, and of taking time to reflect on my experiences are all values that have become central to the work that I do. I also think that I have learned so much about just how privileged I am, and I will no longer take that for granted. It can be so easy for me to get caught up in my own day to day life, and not notice the struggles that others are facing.

Since coming to Fairfield, I have taken many classes that have focused on the injustices in society that often come with a person’s race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomics, etc… After taking these classes, I can no longer be ignorant to the disadvantages that others may face, and it has sparked a permanent call for social justice in my heart.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/pnc3qkf