Undergraduate Student Profile: Katie Reilly ’15

Submitted by Virginia Weir, Assistant Director of Advancement Communications on April 2, 2014

Between the professors I have had and the organizations I have been involved with, passion has been the difference between a good experience and a great experience.

Katie Reilly ’15

Hometown: Cranston, R.I.

Program: English / Professional Writing

Honors: Rising Stag Award for Student Leadership, Sigma Tau Delta inductee

why fairfield

During the college selection process, there was one thing that set Fairfield apart from my other college choices. Fairfield stood out not only because of its beautiful campus, its rigorous academic core curriculum, its opportunity to get involved, but because its students were the happiest I had ever seen on a college tour. Three years later, I am proud to say that I am now one of those happy students I encountered on my initial tour.

How did you come to be interested in your major/field of study?

As an undeclared freshman, I was not only allowed, but encouraged, to explore different academic paths. That freedom showed me that writing, always a passion of mine, was a passion I wanted to further enhance in the classroom. I declared an English major here at the end freshman year, and I have become a better student and a better writer because of my English professors.

How has your Fairfield experience been so far?

My Fairfield experience has been nothing but positive. In addition to my education, I have grown so much as an individual. Through Fairfield I have taken class trips to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to study some of the best art in the world; I have volunteered my time with a non-profit in Stamford to write grants for their program; I was able to study abroad in Ireland and expose myself to an entirely different lifestyle.

I am getting so much more than an education here.

Favorite faculty

I have had a lot of great professors and mentors here. One of my favorite experiences, however, was with Dr. Katherine Schwab, who teaches art history here. I took the course based on the recommendation of a friend and the need to fulfill core credit for visual and performing arts. It was an introductory course but I soon became fascinated by everything Dr. Schwab was teaching. Her passion for art history was something I could relate to, being a lover of the arts as well.

Favorite faculty

When I was abroad, I traveled to Paris. While in Paris I visited to the Louvre and while walking around the enormous museum, I stumbled across The Law Code of Hammurabi, a piece of art I studied with Dr. Schwab. A year after I had taken the class, I was physically standing next to something I had studied. That experience was unlike any experience I’ve ever had. To learn about it is one thing, but to actually stand next to it is another.

What have you been involved in at Fairfield?

I am a member of the history club, a captain of a Relay for Life team, and a supervisor at the Student Phonathon. I studied abroad in the fall of my junior year in Galway, Ireland. Also, my roommates and I are also a part of the Build-A-House program run through Residence Life.

I love going to the Career Planning Center. I went there to improve my resume just before their Career Fair and left the Career Fair with two interviews for summer internships. They helped prepare me by making sure my resume was top notch, and by giving me helpful hints while talking to employers. I love how helpful they are!

I was just offered an editorial internship for the summer and have an interview for an additional internship in the coming weeks. It’s an exciting time!

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation I hope to settle in to a full-time job, although graduate school may be in my future. I am still unsure of the path I want to take. However, I am confident that I will be prepared for whatever the next step is after graduation.

What are you learning at Fairfield that you think you’ll take with you after you graduate?

Fairfield has taught me to be passionate about the things you love. Between the professors I have had and the organizations I have been involved with, passion has been the difference between a good experience and a great experience. If I could only take away one thing from my entire four years here, it would be to follow your passions.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/lk7nmr4