Internship Q&A

Submitted by Carolyn Arnold, Associate Director, Marketing & Communications on June 26, 2014

burger bash copyWhen it came time for Jenna Slowey ’15, a marketing major, to apply for an internship, she looked for one that could relate to her interest in sports and marketing. She found the perfect match through Octagon, one of the industry’s leaders in sports, entertainment, and lifestyle marketing. Read below for her account of what she’s learned during her time with the company.

Why Octagon?
Sports have always been an integral part of my life; I play on the Women’s Lacrosse team here at Fairfield so a marketing agency that has a specific focus on sports (among other things) seemed like a great fit.

What do your duties include?
I work exclusively on the MasterCard Global account. I am in the culinary division, supervised by a former Fairfield alumnus Jaime Bivona ’06. Although I am working on the culinary platform, I am able to see how all the divisions of this client work, including sports, music, and entertainment.

My specific duties include: to provide support for MasterCard related to its significant investments in culinary; analyze effectiveness of client programs, review proposals, and provide research for presentations; assist with administration of MasterCard account; conduct research on competitive landscape for client; and assist in preparation of execution guides, program summaries, and other deliverables.

What classes have helped prepare you for this position?
“Consumer Behavior,” “Marketing Research,” and, most significantly, “Global Marketing,” have assisted me in succeeding in this internship. Consumer behavior has allowed me to define and evaluate different target markets and demographics desired by the client, while marketing research gave me the skills to gather and analyze information pertaining to those specific markets. Global marketing has helped me the most with this internship, because I am working on the MasterCard Global account. It has allowed me to understand the “why” and “how” of different international markets working together for a client’s common goal.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned?
The most important thing I have learned so far from participating in this internship is less specific to Octagon itself and is more of a general attribute one must possess in the business world: that taking initiative and responsibility on yourself is not only beneficial to the company, but it is beneficial to you. Hard work and self-motivation never go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Fun fact:
I got to work MasterCard’s “Food Truck” booth at the New York City Wine and Food Festival’s Burger Bash with other Octagon employees. They let me participate in one of their biggest, most important culinary events so that I could gain the experience, which was great.

Tiny URL for this post: http://tinyurl.com/p372aob